The Military Writer's Society of America's President Bill McDonald reviewed & awarded ... " It Is The Soldier " - CD

2005 - CD of the Year AWARD

"A Spiritual Gift for Soldiers ... this music is pure LOVE," stated M.W.S.A.'s President Bill McDonald.







Wednesday, January 10, 2007

" The Last Goodbye " - ( Cpl. John Paul Barta ) ........ 'Bye John


Today, Jan. 10, 2007 ... would have been Cpl. John Barta's 26th Birthday.


Instead, one week ago ... John was laid to rest in his hometown of Corpus Christi, Texas.


A HERO, another soldier, another mother's son ... laying down his life in sacrifice for the cause of Freedom ... thousands of miles away from home ... may he NEVER be forgotten.


On Christmas Eve, we recieved notice that a soldier had been lost from our son's company in IRAQ. We knew the family had been notified, so, there was "some" sort of peace for us, but, I also knew ... another mother somewhere ... was recieving tragic news of her son's loss.


We also knew there were probably others who were injured, so, we waited on pins & needles for word on our son.


Then, early Christmas morning ... we got a call from our son, SPC. David Dale, " I'm ok mom."


My prayers were answered, but, my heart ached for the mom recieving the worst news possible.


Our son spoke very little, grieving, in tears. He could not bear to speak of the loss of his good friend, Cpl. John Barta.


I've never heard my son so broken hearted.


Our Christmas was a mixed basket of blessings & prayers ... especially, for the Barta family.


By New Year's Eve, we found the funeral arrangements had been made, John would be laid to rest in his hometown of Corpus Christi, Texas.


Larry & I both felt the need to go, to stand in the gap for our son, as well as, pay our respects as another 1st Cav. family, to this soldier's family.


The next day we flew from Atlanta to Corpus ... spent the evening at the funeral home, sharing our condolences John's wife & family. It was just SO heartbreaking. Soldiers stood guard by John's casket as a video presentation played of photos of John from childhood to adulthood ... ending with ones of him as a soldier, tanker.


By the end, this truly incredible young man had captured my heart, becoming "another son"... another one that "I Can't Forget".


Larry offered his services to the family, offering to echo taps at graveside along with the Army Honor guard ... as a form of appreciation from another 1st Cav. family.


Wednesday morning upon arriving at the First Baptist Church of Corpus Christi, the Patriot Riders had begun arriving early, in anticipation of protesters that might try to disrupt the services & burial of this hero.


The service was beautiful, the video played again, a bagpiper played, veterans paid their respects, John's friends & Pastor's spoke of this incredible young man, an accomplished athlete, student & soldier... excelling in everything he attempted, it seemed.
Hundreds were in attendence to honor this HERO.


I personally knew, and, had expected it to be VERY difficult for me, also ... as I had not been to a military funeral in 36 years, since I lost my cousin in the Vietnam war, back in 1970.


That, coupled with the fears for my own son, I was SO broken, I could not contain my heartache, nor tears ... grieving beyond belief, I was just devasted.


As we headed for the interment, a gentle rain began falling as strong winds blew.


The Patriot Guard Riders lined both sides leading up to the burial site, standing to show their respect, protect the family from possible protestors, each of them holding large American Flags as John's casket was brought forth to his final resting place.


Folks just kept coming at graveside, after a brief service, prayer, gun salute, then echo taps ... hundreds encircled the family, waving flags, as tears fell ... Mrs. Barta was presented the flag from John's casket, then, family & friends sprinkled flowers, soil, and tears upon John's casket, as they said their "Last Goodbye's".


I waited until the end, then, I laid a simple handwritten copy of the lyrics from my song,
"Her Hometown Heroes" upon the top of John's casket, another HERO, as it was lowered.


My heart just sank, seeing this young man laid to rest, his grieving family.


I will NEVER forget him, a brother in arms to my son David, another mother's son ... now, I too, have "another one."


Cpl. John Barta ... a HERO ... indeed!


God Bless you, son ... Rest in Peace.


'Bye John.






View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

" Just one mom, of one soldier... from one family who's lost a loved one in a previous war... just doing what I can to show my love for my family, God & this GREAT NATION! "